Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Proposal -- December 29th.

Well, I must preface this by pointing out that I’m not one for brevity. : ) Okay…Aaron and I were on vacation in Florida with my family over the holidays. We had spent the week hanging out on the beach, riding bikes, playing games, shopping…you know, just a very easy-going vacation. And this particular day we had planned to lounge around by the pool. However, the ‘plan’ (which you all know this is something I like to have etched in stone) was interrupted… Aaron tells me that everyone had decided to drive down to Seaside—do some shopping and eat a late lunch at Bud & Alley’s (one of my favorites). I was a bit confused at the sudden change of schedule…and even more so when I was continuously coaxed by everyone to ‘clean up’ and get ready to go. After three people ‘suggest’ you shower and put on something other than your typical Florida-uniform (my swimsuit)…your insecurities take control, so I complied. [understated obstacle #1]

We ate a wonderful meal on the roof top of the restaurant overlooking the beach with my family. There was a chalkboard at the bar where people were placing bets on the time of sunset…It was soon approaching, so Aaron suggested we go for a walk on the beach. Now, come on, who wouldn’t want to do that? Well, me…at that time.. As if getting me to change my ‘plans’ for the day wasn’t a big enough obstacle…I decided that we should now hit up all of the stores because they would all close within the hour. [#2] Aaron tells me later that his heart just sank...but the eager-beaver managed to pull me to the shore after all, and we went for a beautiful walk as the sun was setting. I remember trying to make conversation…and all Aaron could do was look off into the sunset remarking “look how pretty it is tonight…look how pretty…” over-and-over. :) Apparently his eyes were searching for Odessa Beach…however because of the recent hurricane, the beach access had been turned into a ‘balcony’ overlooking the water instead. [#3] Aaron suggested suddenly we head up to the road…leaving our shoes behind, he carries me on his back over the river and through the woods. We finally arrive at the Odessa Beach pavilion…rose petals scattered in a trail in the sand up to the balcony. We walk up the stairs and through the terrace…and I notice a blanket, a picnic basket, gathered roses, and champagne. (Aaron had my family in on it from the beginning to help set up) I look at Aaron, (I still don’t realize what ‘this’ is…) and he tells me since we wouldn’t be able to spend our 2 year anniversary together, he wanted to surprise me a little earlier with something special. Well, what do you know, I bought it ! We sit down, pour ourselves glasses of ‘J’ champagne, and enjoy the sunset. It wasn’t until a few minutes later, I questioned Aaron – "what keeps people from coming up here?” …with this I turn around to look, and I notice my parents, positioned like paparazzi, peeking over the stairs. I look at Aaron and his smile just gives it away. I just burst into tears…he begins a long moment of the “I loved you when, knew you were the one when, love, love…” meaningful beautiful sentiment that I’ll keep between us. I stand, he opens the little black box, and he asks me to marry him. Undoubtedly, the answer was a yes! Between the hugging, kissing, and smiling… I didn’t even look the ring for a while. He reminds me, and slides a beautiful diamond on my left hand. I don’t think I have stopped grinning ever since, or so I have been told. :) My parents soon emerge from the bushes and come with their cameras and congratulations. After pictures and tears, they left us to enjoy “our moment”…we cuddled up and listened to the waves for the next hour soaking it all in. It was simply perfect. Back at the beach house, my parents had made a ‘celebratory dinner’ and presented me with my first Modern Bride… Aaron and I just practiced calling each other ‘fiancé’ and started spreading the news to family and friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

awww! i checked on your page to see if you had updated... i've heard the story before, but reading it was almost as good as hearing it from you. :) miss you, j.

10/11/2006 12:01 AM

 
Blogger the Albino Bowler said...

You have an interesting way of thinking about things. I just posted something I think you will find particularly interesting

Matt from New Orleans
P.S
Make sure u read the post called "On Pillaging"

8/05/2008 3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home